Placement is built around three formal supervisor/student meetings and the forms that are completed/authorised at them.
Timely submission of these forms is crucial for the smooth running of placement – in fact, without it you will fail the module (see submission requirements for TH4012, TM4307 or WS4503 Module Descriptors). These forms are generally submitted electronically but paper format is available:
i) Collaborative objective-setting
DEADLINE: Mon 24 Oct 2022
We allow considerable flexibility in placement because students come from a range of ages, denominations and life experiences: we want each of you to fulfil your current potential. This means that each student's placement will be unique as you build your own objectives, collaboratively with your supervisor, according to your formative needs and the church's ministry focus.
However, each of these objectives must relate to at least one of the Key Development Areas and must be S.M.A.R.T
Please be mindful that without the submission of the F2 form, Vocational Services cannot authorise your placement, so any placement hours completed before authorisation will not be recognised. Before authorising the placement, we need to contact the supervisor to secure their formal agreement and, in the case of home church placement, check the suitability of the proposed placement provider. If an issue arises around this, please contact Vocational Services immediately.
Please take time to study the commitments the Placement Proposal (F2) asks you to make:
- Communicate regularly with your supervisor via an agreed medium (text/email/phone)
- Keep evidence of all correspondence
- Respond to all communication from your supervisor within 24 hours, including to acknowledge arrangements
- Maintain a reliable attitude to all commitments made: ensuring punctuality and respect of others’ time, giving due notice in case of mitigating circumstances
- Participate regularly and actively in church and, where possible, mid-week small groups as part of your worship. These hours generally only count if you are actively involved in an area of service (e.g. helping lead a youth group in church or leading the study at a mid-week group). Reasonable notice must be given to your supervisor if unable to attend
- Use own means of/public transport to the placement, unless other arrangements are agreed
- Recognise that a church placement will reflect a broad spectrum of Christian tradition and may be different to what you are used to
- Keep copies of all forms submitted (photo on phone and date submitted, as a minimum).
- At the beginning of your placement you will be given a Log of hours (F10.1) (online or hard copy according to preference). Please ensure you maintain a regular record of placement hours, as this is evidence required to pass the module.